So I ran into a funny error today while trying to install erlang on my Mac.

$ sudo port install erlang
Error: Unable to execute port: invalid command name "configure.cppflags"

It turns out (after running port using the -d option), that macports was trying to upgrade my gettext version. The Portfile seemed to be trying to set the CPPFLAGS option for the configure tool. I opened up /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/ rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/devel/gettext/Portfile and replaced:

configure.cppflags \
    -no-cpp-precomp

with this:

configure.env   CPPFLAGS="-no-cpp-precomp"

That seemed to have fixed things. I was able to continue my install and fire up erl. Since I couldn’t find the answer on the big Google-Net I cast, I figured I’d write it up here in case some poor soul had the same bad luck I did.

Now it’s time to try out some Amazon API stuff.